Note to Dues-Paying OGS Members
The new OGS membership year begins September 1. Dues-paying OGS members (except those who joined after June 1 this year or renewed in the past few weeks) who log in to the OGS website will see a notice regarding the need to renew your membership. We recommend that you use the on-line renewal process. If you wish to change your membership plan (e.g. from an individual membership to a family membership), please contact us first at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any trouble logging in, please contact us at the above email address.
Of course, if you prefer filling out paper forms and writing checks, you may download, print, and fill out the 2019-2020 membership application form
and either mail in the form with your check or turn it in at an OGS meeting.
If you have any questions about the membership renewal process, please contact us at the above email address.
2019-2020 OGS Board
Meet our new elected officers (L-R): Judi Hine (secretary), Judy Artley (treasurer), Kathy Erlandson (president), Greg Nordlund (vice president), and Nancy Cordell (past president).
Welcome to Our Website!
The Olympia Genealogical Society's website is designed to allow our members to engage with each other as they trace their ancestors, fill out their family trees, and discover their family histories. We want to make this site a dynamic experience where members can share with and learn from one another. Here are just a few ways to engage on this site today:
- Go to the Members Only area and log in.
- Review your Profile and provide any appropriate revisions to your Contact Info and Member Settings.
- Under the Surnames tab of your profile, add the names of your ancestors. Your entries automatically will show up in the Surname Research area where visitors to the site can find them and share information they may have. Users of search engines like Google and Bing also will be able to discover these names.
- Join a Special Interest Group (SIG).
- Submit feedback, topic ideas or tips to Webmaster@OlyGenSoc.org.
If you aren’t already an OGS member, please consider joining and engaging with our community. To do so, see Membership
in the menu in the left column.
Special Interest Groups
Come One, Come All! A Special Interest Groups Fair was held at the General Membership meeting on September 13, 2018. It was a great way to kick off the year with six groups started. Facilitators gave a brief introduction about their SIGs. After the introductions, members mingled around the room, spoke with the facilitators and signed up for the groups that they were interested in. Treats and sharing were enjoyed by all.
Special Interest Groups and Facilitators:
- ANCESTRY - Greg Nordlund
- DNA - Judi Hine & Kerry McHugh Upton
- FAMILY SEARCH - Scott Morrison
- FAMILY TREE MAKER - David Abernathy
- LEGACY - Gayle Strom
- ROOTS MAGIC - Rosemary Walrod
Special Interest Groups are open to all members as well as visitors. Meeting location and time to be set with the facilitator. Please contact the facilitator to learn more about the group. More information shared on the Forum page once you have logged onto the OGS website, Members Only section. Access to the Forums is a benefit of membership, if you aren't a member yet, join up and start taking in all that membership offers!
Other committees that were started up this year:
- Cemetery Project -- Members will update our Cemetery page, working with the local cemeteries. It's been 40 years since OGS has added to the content of the cemeteries database! If you're interested in learning more about this project, contact Eileen or Norman Dodge.
- Outreach -- The Outreach committee will share to the community about the Olympia Genealogical Society via local community events, schools, and other opportunities the group identifies. Please contact Nancy Cordell or Kathy Erlandson.