OGS Virtual Spring Seminar
This was the rescheduling of the program from the cancelled March 28 seminar. Teresa Steinkamp McMillin, CG, presented the program as a Zoom webinar on May 9; see more details
. Recordings of the four presentations will be available to all registrants for 30 days beyond the webinar. An email was sent to all registrants on May 10 with links to the recordings. If you were registered and did not receive the May 10 email, please contact us.
OGS Cancels Upcoming Meetings/Events
March 11 -- In light of the growing concern about the spread of the COVID-19 virus, and in the interest of protecting the high-risk population we serve, the OGS Executive Committee has voted to cancel all future meetings and gatherings of the Society, until such time as this threat has passed.
Welcome to Our Website!
The Olympia Genealogical Society's website is designed to allow our members to engage with each other as they trace their ancestors, fill out their family trees, and discover their family histories. We want to make this site a dynamic experience where members can share with and learn from one another. Here are just a few ways to engage on this site today:
- Go to the Members Only area and log in.
- Review your Profile and provide any appropriate revisions to your Contact Info and Member Settings.
- Under the Surnames tab of your profile, add the names of your ancestors.
- Join a Special Interest Group (SIG).
- Submit feedback, topic ideas or tips to Webmaster@OlyGenSoc.org.
If you aren’t already an OGS member, please consider joining and engaging with our community. To do so, see Membership
in the menu in the left column.
Special Interest Groups
Come One, Come All! A Special Interest Groups Fair was held at the General Membership meeting on September 13, 2018. It was a great way to kick off the year with six groups started. Facilitators gave a brief introduction about their SIGs. After the introductions, members mingled around the room, spoke with the facilitators and signed up for the groups that they were interested in. Treats and sharing were enjoyed by all.
Special Interest Groups and Facilitators:
- ANCESTRY - Greg Nordlund
- DNA - Judi Hine & Kerry McHugh Upton
- FAMILY HISTORY WRITING - Cindy Neff
- FAMILY SEARCH - Carolyn Gibbons
- FAMILY TREE MAKER - David Abernathy
- LEGACY - Gayle Strom
- ROOTS MAGIC - Rosemary Walrod
Special Interest Groups are open to all members as well as visitors. Meeting location and time to be set with the facilitator. Please contact the facilitator to learn more about the group. More information is shared on the Forum page once you have logged onto the OGS website, Members Only section. Access to the Forums is a benefit of membership, if you aren't a member yet, join up and start taking in all that membership offers!
Other committees that were started up last year:
- Cemetery Project -- Members will update our Cemetery page, working with the local cemeteries. It's been 40 years since OGS has added to the content of the cemeteries database! If you're interested in learning more about this project, contact Eileen or Norman Dodge.
- Outreach -- The Outreach committee will share to the community about the Olympia Genealogical Society via local community events, schools, and other opportunities the group identifies. Please contact Kathy Erlandson or Greg Nordlund.