Note to Dues-Paying Members with Expired Memberships
The new OGS membership year began September 1. The membership renewal grace period ended Oct 31. After Oct 31, members with expired memberships still are able to log in to this site, but they only are able to renew their membership, i.e. they no longer are able to access "Members Only" content until they renew their membership.
We strongly recommend that you use the on-line renewal process; log in to this site via the Members Only link in the nav menu and follow the instructions. If you wish to change your membership plan (e.g. from an individual membership to a family membership), please contact us first at email@example.com
If you have any trouble logging in or have any questions about the membership renewal process, please contact us at the above email address.
Membership in the Olympia Genealogical Society is open to anyone interested in genealogical research, who agrees to abide by the Genealogist's Code of Ethics (see below) and the OGS Code of Conduct
Membership Privileges & Benefits
- Nine General Membership meetings each year (monthly Sept thru June, except April) featuring programs on a wide range of genealogy topics presented by knowledgeable speakers. The February meeting is the annual OGS dinner meeting for members and invited guests.
- Subscription to our monthly newsletter, including access to archived issues.
- Opportunities to participate in several special interest groups (SIGs).
- Discount pricing on our annual seminar held every spring. Past seminar speakers have included Thomas MacEntee, CeCe Moore, Janice Lovelace, Jill Morelli, Lisa Alzo, Blaine Bettinger, Teresa Steinkamp McMillin, and Rick Sayre.
- Volunteer opportunities. Many OGS members volunteer their time in helping our society promote genealogy and family history research.
- Access to Members Only content on our website including:
- Video recordings of monthly programs (new beginning Sep 2020).
- Member discussions ("Forums").
- Downloadable program materials when authorized by guest speakers.
- 7+ years of past Quarterly Journal issues, currently not being published.
- Special Interest Group content.
- Ability to add your ancestors to our Surname Research database. You can input multiple spelling variations, counties and states of residence, and timeframes of residency. This database is search-enabled, making entries discoverable via search engine queries world-wide.
- Courtesy email notifications of upcoming events and items of interest.
We hope you find value in what we have to offer and become a member of our society!
- Individual - $20.00
- Family - $25.00
- For new members joining between Mar 1 and May 31, the dues for the current membership year are half of the above.
- For new members joining between Jun 1 and Aug 31, the remainder of the current membership year is included with the next full year's membership.
To Join OGS:
- RECOMMENDED OPTION: Join Online. Select the desired membership plan, complete your profile, and then pay the applicable membership dues either:
- online by credit card or PayPal account, OR
- by mail or in person by printing your invoice and paying by check.
- ALTERNATIVE: You may download, print, fill out, and submit the OGS Membership Application Form with a check for your dues.
Genealogist's Code of Ethics
In order to protect the integrity of public records and library books, I am ethically bound and hereby agree:
- That I will treat with the greatest care and respect all public records and library books which may be made available for my use.
- That I will speak with courtesy to all employees of a vital records office or of a public library when requesting to see any vital records or library book, and that when finished with such record or book, I shall express my thanks to the person attending to my requests.
- That I will not tear, erase, mark or remove any public record or library book and will refrain from mutilating, defacing or otherwise destroying any part of such public record or library book.
- That when I have finished viewing any public record or library book, I will return it to the proper or designated place.
This pledge is freely made by me upon penalty of forfeiting my membership in this society.