Membership in the Olympia Genealogical Society is open to anyone interested in genealogical research, who agrees to abide by the Genealogist's Code of Ethics.
Membership Privileges & Benefits
- Nine General Membership meetings each year (monthly Sept thru June, except April) featuring programs on a wide range of genealogy topics presented by knowledgeable speakers.
- Subscription to our monthly newsletter, including access to archived issues.
- Access to 7+ years of past Quarterly Journal issues, currently not being published.
- Opportunities to meet and exchange information with other researchers at several monthly events.
- Discount pricing on our annual seminar held every spring. Past seminar speakers have included Thomas MacEntee, CeCe Moore, Janice Lovelace, Jill Morelli, and Lisa Alzo.
- Volunteer opportunities. Many OGS members volunteer their time in helping our society promote genealogy and family history research.
- Access to the Members Only section of our website.
- Downloadable program materials when authorized by guest speakers.
- Ability to add your ancestors to our Surname Research database. You can input multiple spelling variations, counties and states of residence, and timeframes of residency. This database is search-enabled, making entries discoverable via search engine queries world-wide.
- Courtesy email notifications of upcoming events and items of interest.
We hope you find value in what we have to offer and become a member of our society!
- Individual - $20.00
- Family - $25.00
- For new members joining between Mar 1 and May 31, the dues for the current membership year is half of the above.
- For new members joining between Jun 1 and Aug 31, the remainder of the current membership year is included with the next full year's membership.
To Join OGS:
- RECOMMENDED OPTION: Join Online. Select the desired membership plan, complete your profile, and then pay the applicable membership dues either:
- online by credit card or PayPal account, OR
- by mail or in person by printing your invoice and paying by check.
- ALTERNATIVE: You may download, print, fill out, and submit the OGS Membership Application Form with a check for your dues.
Genealogist's Code of Ethics
In order to protect the integrity of public records and library books, I am ethically bound and hereby agree:
- That I will treat with the greatest care and respect all public records and library books which may be made available for my use.
- That I will speak with courtesy to all employees of a vital records office or of a public library when requesting to see any vital records or library book, and that when finished with such record or book, I shall express my thanks to the person attending to my requests.
- That I will not tear, erase, mark or remove any public record or library book and will refrain from mutilating, defacing or otherwise destroying any part of such public record or library book.
- That when I have finished viewing any public record or library book, I will return it to the proper or designated place.
This pledge is freely made by me upon penalty of forfeiting my membership in this society.