McLane Cemetery, also known as Mud Bay Cemetery, lies on the crest of a small hill overlooking the McLane Valley and McLane Creek. The plot is bounded on the north by US Highway 101 and on the west by Delphi Road SW. William McLane settled at Mud Bay near Olympia, WA, in the early 1850's on a land grant of 360 acres. Land for a school and cemetery was deeded by him to the McLane School District on 23 July 1883. The cemetery remained in school district ownership until the district itself was annexed by the Olympia School district in 1965. In 1968 the Olympia District deeded the cemetery back to the heirs of the original grantor. The cemetery has been vandalized and has fallen into complete disrepair, with only a few grave markers and stones remaining. The names and dates for internments in this cemetery is mainly gleaned from the memories of Margaret Grace McLane Ramsauer and Elsie McLane Shannon, surviving family members, and Adah Dye, local historian.
Transcribed for the Internet and submitted by Jerri McCoy March 14, 1998.
©1998 Olympia Genealogical Society.
Both above notices must remain when copied or downloaded.
The cemetery was originally canvassed in 1953, and again in 1982.